Custom Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

A few more flakes

I've been tatting a few more snowflakes to compare thread and crystal sizes:


The one in the upper left is tatted with size 80 DMC thread and 4mm Swarovski Crystals. The middle snowflake is tatted with size 50 DMC thread and 5mm Swarovski Crystals. The snowflake on the bottom right is tatted with size 20 Lizbeth thread and 6mm Swarovski Crystals. I'm very pleased that the different sized crystals worked so well with all of my thread!

Measurements for each snowflake (from point to point) are as follows:

  • Size 80 thread: 3.4 inches
  • Size 50 thread: 4 inches
  • Size 20 thread: 5.25 inches

For instructions on making these snowflakes, please see my previous post. I've updated that post to include crystal and picot gauge information for sizes 80, 50, and 20 thread. I wouldn't recommend making it in size 20 though...the points tend to flop a bit due to its size. Just look how big it is!



I much prefer the snowflake in smaller threads (size 50 or 80). Here's how the smallest, size 80 snowflake looks:


Also, be sure to check out Frivole's new video where she shows how to add the crystals to the center of a tatted star. I've been using her method to add the crystals to the center of my snowflakes. It's really a very clever technique!

6 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

Love the sizes all together, and of course the snow very beautiful 🎄😄🎄

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I also love seeing all the sizes together. Thank you! I haven't tatted one snowflake yet. I've been too busy with Ice Drops! ;-)

N. Maria said...

I, too, love seeing the snowflakes in various thread sizes and then the bead sizes to go with them.
Thank you for the link to tat the very long picot for the five crystals! SO cool!
I have got to get back to tatting after Christmas.....lots of ideas.

Margarets designer cards said...

Nice to compare the size with different size threads,
Unfortunately at the moment my eye will only do size 20 thread, no 80 is beyond my eyesight, hopefully things might improve.

Robin Perfetti said...

Yes, I hope your eye heals up after all of the treatments and that you are able to get back to tatting more easily. Also hope your husband is feeling better.

Jenn said...

Gorgeous snowflakes :).