Custom Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Tatting with Beads

While perusing my blog list, I saw some lovely Holiday patterns using beads. I'm not too familiar with beads in tatting (not a big jewelry fan) so I brushed up on techniques by watching Karen Cabrera's tutorials. Here are a few pieces that I tatted:


The snowflake is Frivole's "Bentley" which can be found in her Etsy shop. I saw this on her blog a few weeks ago and thought it was very pretty, especially with the beads in the center. I suggested that we do a pattern swap (her latest snowflake for my latest snowflake) and luckily she obliged!


I've already hung it up on the tree. The Swarovski crystals are perfect for a snowflake. I can't help but wonder all of the possibilities for these crystals in snowflake design.

The next piece is Renulek's Advent Wreath. You can find the pattern notes on her blog post here.


There are a lot of beads in this one, and I think the ones I chose are too large and heavy for the thread. They cause the wreath to distort when held in an upright manner. Maybe I can tack the pattern down and display it on the top of a box or in a picture frame.

16 comments:

Bernice said...

Great holiday tatting. pretty wreath and bently with beads.

Sally Kerson said...

Beautiful tatting. I am a great fan of beads in tatting, they can enhance a piece and especially when using Swarovski crystals.

Batty Tatter said...

Very pretty. How many beads does it require?

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very nicely done! Could you attach the wreath to a ring so that you could hang it from your tree?

Robin Perfetti said...

Great idea Diane! I have some invisible thread, and would just need to find a ring to attach the wreath to. We have lots of craft stores nearby so that shouldn't be a problem.

Robin Perfetti said...

For the snowflake just six beads, and if I'm counting correctly 48 for the wreath. I found the large Clover brand shuttle to be really good at holding all of the beads.

God's Kid said...

Gorgeous wreath and snowflake!!! :)

Madtatter80 said...

They are wonderful! I added Elmer's glue and pat excess off with damp paper towel, it stiffened it for the brooch or tree, if you go that route.

Jenn said...

Both are beautiful :).

Jane McLellan said...

Really pretty. I can see you including beads in future designs!

Margarets designer cards said...

Lovely items, I like the use of beads in tatting but not too many, I hate to see so many beads that you can't see the tatting,
Joelle's snowflake is beautiful I love the beads in the middle
I did see renulks wreath and I have not had time to try it, you did a lovely job with the pattern
I can see you using beads in the future.
Margaret

Somerset Wedding Gal said...

These are the most beautiful little creations, love the gem details!

Corina said...

beautiful tatting!

Robin Perfetti said...

Thanks everyone!

Margarets designer cards said...

I have to tell you something which surprised me, you have a comment from Somerset Wedding Gal, well I press on her name and to my total surprise, this takes you to a hotel site, the hotel in question is not that far away but not only that I actually worked there when I first moved down to Somerset, it's a small world and my curiosity I am afraid got the better of me,

Robin Perfetti said...

Hah! That's pretty neat :)