Custom Pages

Monday, February 12, 2018

Tiny Tatting

I stopped by Jo-Ann Fabrics to look through their collection of sewing thread. They had some nice colors in the Gütermann Dekor embroidery thread, so I bought one to try it out for tatting. It's 100% viscose and color #9945. I used it to make a heart:


This is the first time I've tried tatting with something other than cotton. I was surprised because it was easier to work with than I thought. It's VERY tiny though. Smaller than size 100 tatting thread, and nearly impossible to see the stitches. The picots don't keep their shape very well (the thread unravels), but the heart pattern doesn't have any decorative picots so it worked out okay.

Here's a photo comparing the sizes. Size 40 Lizbeth on the left, Güterman Dekor in the middle, and size 20 Lizbeth on the right:


Overall a fun experiment, but I'm not sure how often I will make something so small. It's difficult on the hands because the stitches need to be snugged very tightly. The rings were hard to close at times and I couldn't really see what I was doing when I sewed in the ends. I do like how tiny it is though:


Friday, January 26, 2018

Doily

Well, I've finally finished the instructions and test tatting for this doily. I know why I don't tat many doilies now. They just take so long to make, and this one isn't even that big!


Instructions for the doily can be found in my Etsy shop (click here to go directly to the listing). I proofread and test tatted this myself, as I do with all of my patterns. I didn't feel comfortable sending out such a big pattern for others to test, so if you find any errors or confusing parts, be sure to let me know.

The doily above was tatted in Lizbeth size 40 thread, White and Wildflower Garden. Here it is next to the all white doily that I tatted as a prototype. (The white doily was tatted in size 20 Lizbeth thread):


It's interesting how the addition of color changes a pattern so much. The medallions are more prominent in the colorful doily, while the negative spaces are more prominent in the white doily.

In size 40, the doily measures 8.75 inches across and in size 20 it measures 10.6 inches across. Both seem to be suitable under a large vase:


I think that will be it for shop patterns until late summer or early fall. A couple of years ago I was asked if I would make a collection of bookmark patterns. I meant to work on that last year, but got distracted by snowflakes. Perhaps bookmarks will be my next project?

Edit: I forgot to add a thank you to those who voted for me on Craftree for best tatting designer! I get embarrassed by these types of things and try to pretend they didn't happen. But Diane has posted about her award and emailed me so I figured I'd better acknowledge it! So, thank you and congratulations to all of the other winners :)

Friday, January 19, 2018

Heart

Here's a photo of the design I created while taking a break from tatting my doily:


This pattern is inspired by a lot of classic tatted hearts, specifically designs that use an outline to represent the heart. As such, I've called this pattern "Classic Heart." You can find it in my Etsy shop by clicking here.

The sets of double rings have proven to be a really versatile tatting element. I've used them in several designs, including the doily from my previous post. By changing ring size and join location, a lot of different curves and angles can be made.

I tatted 12 hearts before I got the angles correct and finalized the stitch counts. While I was experimenting, I could see the potential for outlining several other shapes as well. Not that I would do it, but I bet the alphabet could be tatted with ring sets like this. Also spades, clubs, and diamonds to go along with the heart (as in playing cards), but I'm not sure how good those would look as just outlines.

So far, I've only tatted three hearts from the finished pattern:


When I get the chance, I'd like to try a few more color combinations to see how they look.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Round and round...

I've been battling a cold for the past few weeks, which is why I haven't been posting to my blog. I'm feeling much better now and just have a lingering cough.

In the meantime, I've continued to test tat my latest doily:


This round is particularly slow and tedious. I couldn't help but to take a break from it to create a new, much smaller design. I'll write more about that soon.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

A start

I haven't had the chance to do much tatting over the past three weeks. However, I did manage to get a diagram and written instructions made for my latest doily, and I've just started to test tat it:


My curiosity got the better of me (again), and I wanted to see if the doily could be increased from 11 to 12 repeats while using the original stitch count. Well, it's already started to ruffle, so I think it will be best to stick with 11. I don't want to waste too much time on this experiment, so I'm going to finish the last few rings and chains and then start over with the correct amount of repeats. I'll set aside what I've done, just in case I want to go back to experimenting later.